I headed out to Kansas City, MO for the first, face to face meeting of the Club Racing Board (CRB) and the Board of Directors (BoD). After months of “meeting” my fellow BoD and CRB members via Zoom conference video connections, it was nice to actually meet them in Kansas City, MO at the end of July. I also managed to frequent a couple of my favorite BBQ joints while I was there.
The CRB was first on 7/30. This was an all day meeting was designed to be more strategic and focus on the long-term goals of the CRB. We discussed data acquisition strategies, class structure, CRB and ad hoc committee membership and Majors run groups among other things. It was universally agreed that this was a very successful meeting and something to build upon. Again, so much more is accomplished in person than across a video feed.
The next day was the BoD meeting. This was also an all day meeting and it was designed to allow us to get updates from the various Boards and SCCA staff. We heard from Bob Davis (Solo Events Board Chair), Jeff Dahnert (Finance and Administration Director), Heyward Wagner (Director of Rally & Solo), Kristen Poole (Marketing Director), Eric Prill (Vice President of Road Racing) and Peter Keane (CRB Chair) among others. I made a short presentation about the EVAC and its goals. Once again, a very productive meeting. We are scheduled to meet face to face again in early December.
I had a really nice time meeting new folks and seeing old friends. I drove my EV out there (round trip of 1550 miles for $23.09) and caught up on my backlog of podcasts. Man, there’s a lot of corn between here and there.
Video Conference Meetings:
- CRB (8/3): After having met just a few days earlier, the CRB got back to the task of wading through letters sent to the CRB for review. The results can be seen here.
- Electrified Vehicle Advisory Committee (EVAC)(8/11): We reviewed some documents the committee is working on (super secret stuff). We prepared for the release of these documents over the course of the next few months and making significant announcements about EVs in the SCCA.
- CRB (8/17): A sub group of us met to discuss the rules process.
- Rally Cross Board (RXB) (8/24): The group is working hard to prepare for their National Championships. They’ll be held at the Ross County Fairgrounds near Chillicothe, OH on 10/15-10/17. I am looking forward to being there and watching the action. I encourage all of you to do so as well.
- BoD (8/30): I will report about this next month.
- WMR Major @ Grattan Raceway (8/21, 8/22): I attended this event as an F&C worker and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it was pretty hot and humid (hey, its August in Michigan) but a very large car count by our standards (160 ish) made for some exciting action on track. WMR also had its usual GREAT Saturday evening, all attendee dinner catered by Q-It-Up…a fabulous meal.
September and October have me going to a Solo at Grattan Raceway on Labor Day (9/6), the Runoffs (9/24 to 10/3) and the RallyX National Championships (10/15 to 10/17).
Please forgive me but I’ll probably be too busy at the Runoffs to publish an October update. In addition to crewing for several friends in our six driver, six car, seven entry compound at Indy, I’m also working for the data acquisition crew, I’m a reserve pace/safety car driver and I’ll be giving away trophies for three classes in the Winner’s Circle. November’s update will be EPIC!
Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have about any facet of the GLDiv. I want you to make the most of your membership and I will help out in any way possible to make that happen.