Novice Things To Know!
Welcome to the Solo (autocross) program of the Cincinnati Region of the Sports Car Club of America. Autocross is a sport where drivers navigate a course made of cones as quickly as possible. In solo, there is no wheel to wheel racing, penalties are assesed for hitting cones, and there is an emphasis on driver skill far more than car preparation. What does this mean for you? It’s a ton of fun no matter what you’re driving! From daily drivers to highly-modified racing machines, everything has a chance at being competitive!
If you’re just starting out, we know how you feel. Every one of our club members started out just like you. The idea of competing in your car can seem very intimidating. That’s why we’ve made it our personal goal to make our events extremely easy and inviting for you! We’ll try to answer as many of your questions as we can that we know you’re thinking about, and if we missed some, shoot us an email and we’ll gladly help out! All you need to do is clean your car of any interior clutter, make sure the tires are inflated properly, and show up! You’ll need a helmet, but we have loaner helmets available free of charge.
A Solo Novice Handbook has been created to help get you started.
General Sequence Of Events
***WHEN YOU ARRIVE TO THE SITE, SIGN THE LIABILITY WAIVER AT THE GATE!***
7:30 – 9:00am Event and Course Setup (Volunteers Needed!)
8:00 – 9:00am Registration
8:30 – 9:45am Tech Inspection
9:00 – 10:15am Course Open For Walking
9:45am Novice Meeting and Course Walk
10:15am Mandatory Drivers Meeting
10:30am Start of First Heat
- Everyone must be on the insurance waiver. Please sign it immediately upon entering the site.
- Absolutely NO drugs or alocohol permitted on the premises.
- Your car WILL be inspected to be sure it complies with our safety rules.
- Helmets must be Snell M2005 or better/newer. Loaner helmets are available. Please return them after each run.
- Seatbelts, helmets, and closed toed shoes must be worn while autocrossing.
- All body parts must remain inside the vehicle at all times. If you’re riding along, do not hold the A-Pillar
- Novices are NOT permitted to take passengers, with the exception of certified instructors. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Drive within your ability. Start slow and progress as your skill develops. The trophy at the end of the day isn’t worth wrecking your car or hitting someone.
- When working on course, NEVER turn your back on a car. Stay alert, there may be 3 cars on course at the same time!
- If you are red flagged, please immediately bring your car to a controlled stop. You will be given a rerun.
- If you spin or lose control, please finish the course in a timely manner and exit through the timing lights.
- 5MPH Speed limit outside of course!
- When working on course, stay alert! Sitting, picture taking, and cell phone usage are not permitted.
- If you have ANY safety concerns, please see our safety steward immediately.
Tips From The Pros
- Show up early and ask a lot of questions!
- Walk the course lots of times. Walk it with someone experienced, then walk it yourself. MEMORIZE it. The hardest part for many novices is finding the course when actually driving it.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for an instructor. We want to see you get faster!
- Bring water! You’ll get thirsty.
- Take advantage of the novice programs we have such as the novice class and novice mentoring program.
- Don’t get frustrated after your first event. Like all sports, practice makes perfect!
- Most importantly: HAVE FUN!